Skip to main content

PDE Goals

As future occupational therapy practitioners, it is extremely important to begin familiarizing and challenging ourselves through the development of PDE goals. When choosing my goals, I tried to focus on areas I know I am weaker in and have a strong desire in improving.

For example, in larger groups, such as class lectures, I tend to be more reserved or nervous compared to if I were in a small group of just a few students. Therefore, for my first goal, I would like to emphasize on class participation. My goal will state: I will demonstrate increased engagement by contributing to class conversation at least once during lecture, as well as ask a question to in order to increase overall understanding of the presented material.

Lastly, due to the sometimes overwhelming and chaotic schedule of balancing school and personal life, volunteer work and community engagement can often fall on the back burner. To keep myself productive in my community, I will focus on planning and prioritizing volunteer opportunities. My goal will state: I will volunteer in my community before September 30th in order to increase engagement and service hours.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Neurobiology Blog Post #1

During the last SuperBowl, Budweiser put out a commercial about “typical Americans” that stuck out to me for a couple of reasons. To begin, the commercial highlights people who serve our country through the military and rescue squads, as well as sports teams that have won major titles for our country. My favorite aspect of the commercial is when advocating and petitioning is shown due to the fact that I understand the passion that goes along with fighting for something you believe in, as well as the privilege it is to live in a country that allows us to do so. For starters, I always enjoy a commercial that provokes some kind of emotion. In the case of this commercial, the feeling was immense pride and love for the country we live in. The ad also showcased the many wonderful and positive things happening in our country, rather than focusing on the negative areas and hardships. I think it’s always a sweet reminder to remind of ourselves of all the good that happens daily. The Limbic...

Implicit Bias

Implicit bias is the way we see or stereotype groups of people without even realizing. Implicit bias is a result of years of being taught to look at things or people in a certain way. After time, these ideas become so embedded into our thought process, we don't stop to think twice about the situation or person as an individual. As occupational therapists, we have a responsibility to look at our clients holistically. If we were to go into an evaluation with our own preconceived notions, we would miss out on the beauty of what makes our client unique and motivated. Most importantly, as (future) practitioners, we may not hear or understand the actual needs or beliefs of our client. So, how do we catch ourselves in implicit bias? A few ways we can examine and take initiative against our own bias is by active listening. Taking time to hear a client and truly work towards understanding their point of view will help in decreasing the formation of our own. With active listening, there ...