Skip to main content

Locus of Control

The Locus of Control term was a topic foreign to me prior our Leadership asynchronous learning session. After browsing various resources, I feel confident in not only explaining what the Locus of Control is, but, how identifying it within ourselves can be beneficial in our individual journeys in life. 

The Locus of Control is all about how we react to life's twists and turns, successes and failures, and ups and downs. For some, they may have an internal Locus of Control, in which when experiencing successes,  the individual contributes this to their own hard-work and/or personal attributes. On the other hand, when someone with internal LoC experiences a hardship, this amounts to a feeling of inadequacy and resulting in negative self-talk. However, someone with external LoC attributes their accomplishments to luck, chance, or fate and their hardships to external problems or people. It's important to note that an individual can shift between the two internal and external LoC's, although everyone has one that is more dominant than the other, resulting in one being their primary turn-to in times of need. 

Personally, I currently identify with an internal LoC. I try to recognize my accomplishments and hard-work when I receive good news, but, I am just as quick to bash myself when I am let down or denied. I've known this to be true as I was forced to deal with it greatly throughout my OT schooling. However, I didn't always identify this way. I often let things come and go easily..knowing whatever came or didn't come my way was meant to be. I let things happen and rarely took any credit or blame. While I do believe there is still a lot of these qualities within me, I am confident school has lead me to take more responsibility for my actions - good and bad. Knowing my common reactions, I can proceed with more self-awareness. Being self-aware, I am able to give myself grace. We all deserve some grace. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Implicit Bias

Implicit bias is the way we see or stereotype groups of people without even realizing. Implicit bias is a result of years of being taught to look at things or people in a certain way. After time, these ideas become so embedded into our thought process, we don't stop to think twice about the situation or person as an individual. As occupational therapists, we have a responsibility to look at our clients holistically. If we were to go into an evaluation with our own preconceived notions, we would miss out on the beauty of what makes our client unique and motivated. Most importantly, as (future) practitioners, we may not hear or understand the actual needs or beliefs of our client. So, how do we catch ourselves in implicit bias? A few ways we can examine and take initiative against our own bias is by active listening. Taking time to hear a client and truly work towards understanding their point of view will help in decreasing the formation of our own. With active listening, there ...

Proper Posture & Body Mechanics

Posture encompasses the position of the head, limbs and trunk and ultimately allows our muscles and organs to function optimally. When discussing posture, it is also important to note the role of one’s Center of Gravity and Base of Support. It is important to keep our COG over our BOS in order to maintain postural control. The body is more stable when we have a larger BOS, or support surface, and therefore can majorly impact the way we move our body in order to reach a fixed and supported position. Here are 4 reasons why it is so crucial to teach proper posture and body mechanics to an individual, or future client, who has poor posture. 1.) Statistics show that 80% of adults will at some point experience back pain, and 90% of the time the low back pain will return or be recurrent. It is also important to note that the average age of experiencing this pain can begin as early as 30 years old. Many of these statistics could be avoided with the implementation of proper body mechanics w...